debt at the contribution service

Every month it is due: the fee. Until 2013, the legal situation was as follows: Anyone who owned a TV or a radio had to pay the fee. In the meantime, every household is obliged to pay the broadcasting fee , regardless of whether or not there are corresponding receivers in the apartment.

Those who refuse to pay the broadcasting fee and accumulate debts are sometimes in a lot of trouble. Because only certain groups of people can get rid of this often called a “compulsory fee” contribution.

Each household (each apartment) must pay a broadcasting fee of € 17.50 per month , without the need for a special request for payment. This amount is regulated by law.

The contributor may establish a corresponding direct debit procedure or transfer the quarterly due sum itself . And if he fails both?

  • The first consequence is a payment reminder , followed by a reminder if you do not pay your debts.
  • If you still do not pay afterwards, you will receive several contribution notifications. At the same time, the debts rise because late payments are added to the contributions owed.
  • After notification of the decision to adjudicate , you may settle the outstanding amount within two weeks or object to the decision within four weeks.
  • If you do nothing , the decision to adjudicate becomes final and enforceable . Now, the contribution service can enforce the debt by way of foreclosure . In the case of enforcement, you must expect the bailiff to stand at your door or seize your account . You may be asked in advance to provide asset information. This leads to a entry.
  • Anyone who refuses to comply with the request to submit the asset information risk also an entry in the debtor directory .

An objection to the notice of assessment makes sense in the following cases :

  • The amount of the debt payable is incorrect .
  • For one and the same household several times broadcasting fee was charged . Each household only needs to be paid once, regardless of how many people live in the apartment.
  • The fundamental objection that it is a ” compulsory charge ” is useless .

How can contributors reduce debt?

Even if the compulsory broadcasting fee is highly controversial and encounters strong resistance for many people , the contribution must still be paid . Here are some tips and pointers to help you reduce your debt.

Can I pay off my debts in installments?

Anyone who is unable to pay arrears on the broadcasting fee in one fell swoop can contact the contributor and arrange a installment payment with no interest charge . However, the contributor must meet the following conditions:

  • The monthly installment is proportionate to the outstanding contribution debts.
  • There are no installment payment agreements with the contribution service that have not been met .
  • No enforcement actions have yet been carried out.
  • Please note that in addition to the monthly installment you must pay the due broadcasting fee every three months .

Instead of paying by installments, you can also request a deferral of debt if no installments can be paid due to an economic emergency. In this case, you will be able to settle the arrears at a later date, with a maximum deferment of two years . However, ongoing broadcasting contributions must also be paid in this case.

A third option is to agree on a settlement with the contribution service . In order to negotiate such, you need the certificate of a state-recognized debt counseling, a current exemption from contributions or similar meaningful documents about your insolvency .

Can debts become statute-barred?

Yes, even broadcast contribution claims are subject to the statute of limitations . According to § 7 paragraph 4 of the Broadcasting State Treaty, the statute of limitations according to the provisions of the Civil Code (BGB) on the regular limitation period. This limitation period is three years according to § 195 BGB.

What happens to debts during private insolvency?

The opening of insolvency proceedings does not relieve of the obligation to continue to pay license fees. Rather, contributions that arise after the opening of the personal bankruptcy must nevertheless be paid . However, you may be able to request exemption or reduction of the contribution.

Can I get rid of the broadcasting fee?

Under certain conditions, the contribution service grants an exemption or reduction . This can happen for social or health reasons , eg. B. if you receive Hartz IV, Bafög, basic security or similar benefits.

People with disabilities may in some cases have the option to apply for a reduction in the broadcasting fee. This includes:

  • Blind people (with mark “RF”)
  • Permanently visually impaired people (with mark “RF” and a degree of visual impairment of at least 60)
  • Hearing impaired and deaf people (marked with “RF”; hearing comprehensiveness is not possible with hearing aids)
  • Persons with a degree of disability of at least 80 (marked “RF”, participation in public events is not possible)